Translate

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Earl "Mixxin" McKinney- call him Mr. Been there done that!

One of the many reason's this "Thing of ours" keeps getting better and better is because of the DJs that have paved the way for House music in Detroit to live on well after we are gone.

One of those is my brother from another mother... Earl "Mixxin" McKinney ( Emixxin).
I call him, Mr." Been There Done That" because few have done so much in their home town as Emixxin!

A man small is statue but large in talent and skill. ( yeah, well... you did not think I was going to do a Blog and him and NOT talk about his height did ya?)

Mrs. Eloise baby boy and his sisters(the real one...not me) pride and joy ( the look on her face when she talks about him is so special.. she loves that lil man).

I recently had the opportunity to work very close with Earl. He'd ask me to help plan his birthday party, I was shocked to say the least! I wanted to make sure he was well taken care of.  IF YOU HAVE EVER WORKED FOR HIM YOU WILL UNDERSTAND... DAMN!!!  It takes a strong person to deal with THAT lil terror! (yup Earl.. I said it). That's where our bond grew stronger.  

 The day before the party we went by his moms house to pick up a few things...you know, the stuff DJs need. It was there that I realized how important Emixxin has been not only to the House music scene but the Detroit music scene in general.

I remember him telling the story of how he and Al Easter use to sneak out (in his mommas car) and hit the night spots. I found a video of him detailing how he got started DJing..( he was the audio/video guy)- learned a lot from that video, like Earl DOES NOT AGE...like EVER! That day I asked Earl, "why don't you do a vinyl set".. he balked at the idea.. ( cause HE didn't think of it-lol)

>>>>side note... I think ALL DJs that started in vinyl should play at least ONE vinyl set per year. & those who didn't should try it out...<<<<<<<

Starting out in backyards.., moving on to radio..Soul Night, UBQ's the OFFICIAL DJ of the Detroit Shock and Piston's ( I wished I knew him then.. cause I would have got some tickets to a game or three) Bar 7, You Me Drink.. and L!V. Featured artist at the DEMF 2012  The list goes on.

Emixxin stepped away for a time from House music, but my little big brother is back in FULL effect! and on Thursday December 6th Earl "Mixxin" McKinney went back to where it all started.. he played an all vinyl set. The music was off the chain, the sound was pitch perfect(remember Im a fan NOT a professional) so it sounded damn good to me.

Im not sure whats next on the menu for him, production maybe? One never knows with that one. I am  sure of THIS, as long as there is music, there will be Emixxin! You can say a lot about the him but one thing is for sure and TWO is for certain. Earl is in a class all by himself and in my book is one of the best things the Detroit House scene has to offer.

There are days when I want to beat the black off of him(always startin something) but THIS House Cat makes NO apologies for what he feels, thinks, and says! Takes a real stand up kinda guy to do that.

Let the Music play

P~


No comments:

Post a Comment