Translate

Friday, May 17, 2013

The D'Vine Ones..A Love story





Onced (yes...ONCED) upon a time. On the Southside of Chicago there was a little boy name Brett and a pretty little girl named Nicky. Im not sure how they met (cause I live in Detroit) and did not learn of these two until years later. So im going to tell the story as I've play it out in "MY" head.

Maybe in the schoolyard, or on a bus, maybe at the skating rink, or just in the hood. However they met they feel in love and made not only 3 beautiful babies together but somewhere along the way became two BADD ASS DJs! 19 years and still going strong. I LOVE, LOVE! Im sure that lil mannish boy chased her all around the neighborhood..and she was smitten with his cute lil face. Hell... maybe SHE chased HIM and gave him that note: " You gone be my boyfriend"? Yes, NO, or Maybe? ( circle one)-lol. Obviously he circled "YES"

However it happened the two became one and then became D'Vine!

I first became aware of MzNicky, TheDvineone at L!V.. when I tell you THAT lil heffa came in, showed UP and SHOWED O-U-T!! That is just what she did. She went straight BANG from the time she stepped behind the tables. I INSTANTLY became a fan fo'life! Now, I have seen L!V on, bump several times but up until that point I (personally) had never seen a guest DJ come in there at give the crowd some, sho NUFF "act right"! MzNicky...TheDvineone, gave it TO em that night. And when she was done... she straight, dropped mic, exit stage left! I distinctly remember a small crowd walking behind her as she exited the building giving her all kinds of praise. In the distance I heard someone say, "yeah her husband is a DJ he taught her how to spin. She is WAY better than him" (sorry Brett, I didnt say it...but I digress) hold tight lil homie, imma get to you in a minute. If memory servs..as she was walking out...people were throwing rose petals at her feet. Six men carried her out on their shoulders... she waved to her adoring crowd..( ok thats a stretch..but in my head that's kinda what it was like)

Her style is,"I'll House you"! (only REAL TRUE HouseHeads know what I mean) pure energy is where she comes from. Her selection speaks to the crowd and she knows just the right pitch to play.. she smoove as butta baby, and goes hard in the paint with her set.

The 2nd time I heard her play was at the Mars vs Venus( now im NOT going to go deep into it)...but, for those who didn't show... SHAME ON YOU! MzNicky...TheDvineone, came in there and wreck the room.  She went straight Sade/Monique Bingham, kick her shoes off and threw down sunin FIERCE! We talked for a spell, I got a lil insight on how she came up in this Thing of Ours. Looks like her husband taught her a few thangs, but she was ready to learn before she even touched the tables..she has always known music and how it should be played. So Brett, thank you for marrying this young lady and showing her how to become a DJ- of impeccable skill and talent.

I was so impressed by my Chi-Town sisters ( Alicia and MzNicky...TheDvineone) some time back I'd inboxed the following. MzNicky, Alicia, Angi Stone, Minx, Stacey, DJLC. I wanted to have a party with just the lady DJs..( The Morning after pill party) - I still think it would be a helluva gig! Ladies..we need to talk.

Member... early on in this Blog I said..someone said the wifey was better than Brett... well, that's ok. The student should always take what they have learned and put their own spin/style on it. That is what she did.

Brett Morrison, aka the HuZband and BADD ASS DJ! Now I knew the Morrisons had a radio show, but honestly I would NEVER listen to it unless I knew MzNicky...TheDvineone was playing. ( Sorry Brett) I'd heard that this huZband of hers had taught one, Mr. Terry Hunter how to spin. (you people know who Terry Hunter is don't cha) !

--humm, the southside of Chicago is kinda like the west side of Detroit ( 7mile area to be specific) because that is the side where all the HOTT ass DJs came from.

ANYWHO...back to Brett, I never gave this House Cat a chance(honestly, im not sure why, I just didn't) - see sometimes ya gotta get out there and test the waters. Brett was here not too long ago and I FINALLY got a chance to hear him. I went into it thinking..he can NOT be as good as the wifey. Even though his set was killer.. I STILL did not want to believe he was as good as her. I just did not want to give homeboy a chance. So after the gig I sat around to wait for the lil big brother..aka Earl "Mixxin" Mckinney, on the way home it was me, DJ Brett, and Emixxin. As always Emixxin has a CD loaded in kickin out heat. My ig'nant ass ask, "who in the HELL is THIS"? Brett, turns around and gives off that smile, and in that instant I felt like I had to apologise for not givin him a chance. The CD was FIYAH yall..pure effin FIYAH. Now, here is where a person can give you the proverbial "finger" and make you feel simple as hell. Brett hands me 3 CDs, yeah...I felt like an idiot by this point.

So, as you know, last year someone broke into my car ( Neonda) and got me for ALL my CDs, some I had since early-to Mid 2000's (Delano, Norm, DJ Cent- I was mad as HELL about my DJ Cent too) They got shit I had from BB(some of his early B.L. (Before Lola's) CDs, they got er'body.  Punk MFers prolly don't even like House..but, I...digress.

My collection is now growing again ( hold on people Im going to circle back to the Morrison's in a few, DAMN work with me people, its going to all come together soon)-cause I know you all are thinking WTF does THAT story have to do with MzNicky,...TheDvineone and Bretts Blog.

After Brett hands me these CDs, Im thinking WTH am I going to play these on? As luck would have it, I had gotten lil Neonda fixed( she'd been down for a year) member, I was going to shoot her. After the car had gotten all worked on and polished up, I decided to put a new radio in. BAM, I can listen to my ever growing CD selection. (...but im going to get my DJ Cent CD back FTS!)

I have this extra long as drive to and from work, so one day on the way home I decide to pop in DJ Brett.. HAPPY AS HELL I did. His CD is effin PERFECT on EVERY level. !Quality of sound, selection, how he lets the track "ride" before he blends in the next cut. Just a MASTER of the "ART" of DJing. So, MzNicky...TheDvineone TRULY learned at the foot of the MASTER.

From what I have heard he seems to be a fan of Disco and the Progressive era of This Thing of Ours. The cuts I heard were played back in 78'-like 83' shit that Mojo would play, WLBS, before Progressive, before House, just after Disco tracks.. know what I'm talking about. After I listen to him, the only thing I could think of is that line from Coming to America when, Jackson Heights own, Randy Watson left the stage and the old barber proclaimed, "That boy is good"!

I'd like to see what this couple can do production wise.. cause while their styles seems to differ (IMO) together they make one helluva team. So, to the Morrisons, I say..continue to...

Let The Music Play,

P~





No comments:

Post a Comment