Translate

Saturday, April 1, 2017

John E. Collins- regal, bold, beautiful, timeless

Image result for Johns Collins UR



A few months back I was deep into Ken Burns special on the history of Jazz. From its origins to the key players that made it the true American art form that it is. It amazes me that Underground House and Techno is the much like the beginnings of Jazz... and y'all KNOW what happened to Jazz don't cha! It went from the heart and soul of Afrika, to the streets of New Orleans and expanded out. Flowing like the blood  from our hearts... feeding and replenishing our internal soul and organs.  We need it to stay alive. Steeped in the counter metric structure, the heartbeat, the drum, the call and response.. I invite you to close your eyes and feel the music!

You see, in the early days of Jazz they would gather together in the music, usually on a Sunday, and much of this new music was heard during festivals after the harvest.. ( does any of this sound even slightly familiar)- They would gather on street corners to play this new sound carried with them from Mother Afrika to this new land that was built on the backs of their fore-mothers and fathers. You see we had not been out of the darkness that was slavery. 

And while we had been ripped apart from our families, our names stolen, our limbs sore, our men beaten our women made to be bed-warmers for the masters pleasure.. the one thing that they could not break was our spirit and the call of the drum beat that was in our DNA!- even then the music could not be stopped!

...back to the key players of the Jazz era.  When I watched the program I couldn't help but to compare the musicians of that time to the DJ's/Producers of our time.... and here is another clue that history does repeat itself. The program taught me that even then blacks and whites came together for the music they were somewhat codependent on each other. The white folk was feeling that sweet sound of early jazz peoples. 

..and while he came along a little later on hands down one of the most regal, elegant, prolific, players of the jazz era was, The Duke.. Ellington that is. ( but back to him in a minute)

There are times when I think, I have some kinda DJ sixth sense. Last week I was riding along and John Collins just popped in my head. Remembering those long dreads., ( I had a hard time getting over him cutting them off)  I thought about this Cat, wondering what he was like as a child. Cause y'all know he can be very stoned faced., don't let that fool ya he has a heart of gold. I imagined even as a child Mr. Collins ( cause that's what I have called and will continue to call him) - he deserves that respect. Didn't cry or grimace. I imagine as a baby he spoke is complete sentences like, " mom I'm hungry, I would like my bottle now please. With cereal and a banana"- with a straight face! not that crying was a sign of weakness and was beneath him.. he was just born strong, classy, of good quality and character and sense of WHO he is! 

I had heard of John, but had never seen him play until maybe the last year or two. I was slightly intimidated by him. I call him the "elder statesmen" not because of his age. He, to me...is just wise, his eyes tell a story if you care to look. So one day I did. 

I was having an event ( and I always like to give a door prize at my events...) and had ask Mr. Collins for some UR t-shirts. I was invited to Submerge and as I sat across from him I got the feeling of warmth, kindness and a gentle heart. I also saw in his eyes, class, elegance, a soulful spirit, knowledge. 

What I found out after our conversation is he can tell you what he's all about from his playing style. He is your all around phenomenal DJ! He understands each and every crowd he plays for., and knows what to give you to feed that need for the rhythm. This comes from years of experience and raising above petty beefs and squabbles.. again, the word elegance comes to mind  - like The Duke he is quiet, fashionable both talented and gifted! I mean we all know he is with Submerge and he a key member of UR- before he was any of that he was John E. Collins, one of the "cluster" of Collins'es.

Last night I heard him play at one of the hippest spots in Detroit.. underground at its finest. It was a celebration of DJ Seoul's birthday with Detroit Techno Militia and Marie Staggat for the 313OneLove project heading the charge. ( if you haven't picked up your copy of Marie's book I highly suggest you get yours sooner than later).

I'm going to pause here and take a moment to talk about Tom Linder, or as I call him... Tommy Gunzz. Boy can that Cat GO!. I'm not a big fan of Techno ( sorry y'all) but that Tom gets me going every time. So much energy and skill.. he simply LOVES what he does. With his DYNAMIC 1st Lady by his side there is no stopping him(them) Tom is a force of nature. He is half man half amazing!

A few months back Tom had undergone surgery. I remember being very worried., scared even. Not because we are all that close but because it took me back to when I was married and my then husband had had major surgery. I remember how it felt to be in the hospital knowing but not knowing.. praying, questioning. I don't think I had ever been that worried about someone outside of my family before. I worried about  my friend Angie ( the 1st Lady) I KNEW what she was going through mentally, physically, and emotionally! I'd been there. I cried but in  my heart I knew he would pull through.. and boy or boy did that man pull through huntee!! With the million dollar smile, and 2 million dollar skill, and the 3 million dollar arms pull through. Thank you God for your grace and mercy! - he played his heart out! He is like soulful funky techno-ishy you can see his love for both House, progressive, and Techno blend perfectly- he ( tying back to the beginnings of Jazz., Tom would be Nick LaRocca) taking all of what he loved and learned and turning it into his own! Tom Linder TRULY made me like Techno- both he and DJ Seoul gave us the bid'ness last night! just Oh so good! 

...but I have to spin this back aroud (giggles "spin", back around" #DJSPEAK) - I'm a goofball I know... what'evs!

From the time Mr. Collins came in he was his usual stoned face self. ( this is not meant as disrespect its just how I see him) always the professional, exchanging pleasantries and being incog'negro!

This sweet dark chocolate man with the body of an Afrikan warrior king..( I know cause I felt him up) it was TOTALLY by accident.. well, kinda sorta! I'd gone to hug him from behind.. then I was like, "oh..oh damn"!! lemme see. 1...2...3...4...5...6! YES LORT the man has a six pack! I mean, don't judge me., I'm a woman he's a man and NO woman would resist feeling on a man with a body like THAT! He has a body better than folks half his age! all I could think about is, somebody put some hot burnin oil on this King! and rub him down! ( sorry my mind tends to wander when it comes to the opposite sex) 

...ok what direction was I going in again, I have lost my train of thought............( y'all, I really did forget where I was going with this) 

When John hit the decks, this was one of the few times I knew a DJ that played like he plays overseas John came in and just kicked the door in.. fucked shit up, and left us in awe. and we had already been beat by Tom and Joe! How much more did they expect us to take!! welp,.. I tell ya them Cats beat the box., and us too! I had to ask myself. "what did the music do to them? Cause they were KILLIN it"!!!!!

Track after track one by one they kept heads bangin and feet moving. John, in all of his beautiful and regal glory, straight stoned face... just gave all life! soulful techno and few very light sprinkles of standards but mostly he was on something I'd never really experienced cause I'm not a big Techno fan! I mean I like it in small doses or so I thought. 

No Shazamming cause this was all vinyl no errors no slip ups execution was better than "damn good"! Personally I would have liked to have seen better execution on the blends..but I'm still learning so this may just be how its done.. I'm no professional. Nonetheless it did NOT take away from the feeling last night.. 

From the Congo to the fields, from the street corners of New Orleans to the harvest festivals. To the river boats, speak easy's, jukejoints, discotheques, backyard barbeque's, under bridges, in abandoned train stations, to wine bars, and secret locations that's so far off the map ya can't help but marvel and the concept!-Its the beats, the rhythm, the call and response, 

Its the music its, its, the underground and John E. Collins is its perfect spokesperson. He is all that we should aspire to be. Maybe its part of his make up I understand why RESISTANCE is futile! we can all SUBMERGE ourselves in his groove.. 

He played with the kids that looked up to him and folks like Mad Mike Banks- Jeff Mills, and others. 

They ain't babies no mo! They can hang.. BEEN hangin with the big dawgs! 

Last night was simply music amazing. I would like to see both DTM play with some House Cats. I'd call it, " When Sounds Collide"- that would be phenomenal - maybe...oneday!?!

Mr. Collins, thank you! From your 1st gig playing for the Alpha's ( of which you are a member) to your residency at Cheeks, from WJLB , to lands and nations far and wide. You have taken with you all that you are, all that you have learned, all that we should be! UR the GOAT! ( Greatest of all time)


Let the Music Play

~P

Image result for tom linder Detroit Techno MilitiaImage result for detroit techno militiaImage result for Johns Collins UR


No comments:

Post a Comment