Translate

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Last Night I overdosed! What a friggin rush!







As we move closer to the summer season, the parties have continued to out do each other. 

One of my goals is, and always will be, to bring everyone together in the spirit of love via the vessel of the turn table(s) guided by its captain, the DJ! I enjoy telling stories of my experience in this underground community of ours. How the Playas made us feel when they played the music that we love.  It brings me joy to bring my readers in on a party that they may not have had the opportunity to attend for whatever reason. I'd like to think that I am a common voice for all. yes!...I can be egocentric at times! Its rare but it happens-lol

I want those who may not fully understand what House music is or what being a House Head is or what this underground life is about.. I want them to know that we are our own sub culture, we are some of the most dynamic group of people on the face of the planet. We are a community. We do this for the love of the music. and SHOULD do it for the love of each other and the community that we nurture. 

Community...  social activity, a unified body of individuals,an interacting population of various kinds of individuals (as species) in a common location, a group of people with a common characteristic or interest living together within a larger society.


This is who and what we are! and our shit is GLOBAL we are getting close to time, bringing that global village to Detroit. Right here, in this beautiful city I call my home. 

We have new venues, This Situation Room, Sicaros, Two James, Marble and Queens Bar! Stay tuned for party locations and times. 

.....ANYWHO back to.,  not about the "community" but about last night!

I just had to throw that, "community" stuff in for my opening fluff piece. - insert big cheesy grin 

So! There was a Collision., of sorts. A tag team event pairing together Detroit and Chicago DJ's who just like to wreck havoc on the tables. Nervous Breakdown and Will Jacks - who, by the way provided a very nice sound system. Side note.. love the love Chi town shows their own. Not many would bring all that equipment 281 miles to help make a house... quake!

DJ Taz and Pablo Diskobar aka Pauly Cicero. Pablo ( imma ALWAYS call you that) was introduced to me by Dee Jay Alicia ( more about THAT lil Hell Cat later) via Facebook and I have been a fan(atic) ever since. So to put two of my favorite people together was right up my alley. He did NOT disappoint me at ALL- I would have like to hear him play longer, but I understand we were working with 8 DJs and limited time. Next time for sure. Shout out to Kim for doing what no what else did or would. Bring the DJ that "I" KNOW can straight BANG his ASS off!!  He came and left.. HARD! And that damn Jeffery aka Taz, well., outside of his immediate family, co-workers, neighbors, DJ peers, the dog, and old high school classmates. I do believe I am his favorite person. He quinces my musical thirst every single time. Taz is one of THEE most under utilized DJs in the city. I do NOT want to see him play the last set at Excursions- he needs to be right there in the thick of things.. prime time is calling his name!- Funny thing is is.. when I 1st met Taz I thought he was a complete and total ass hole. BOY did I get THAT wrong! Can't judge a book by its cover... I may have to bring a pistol to Excursions cause if Taz ain't playing during prime time somebody is getting a pinky toe shot off!

Then here come them females. Minx and that damn Dee Jay Alicia boy oh BOY!!! THEM heifa's!! When I tell you they slapped the cowboy piss out of the menfolk.. that is exactly what they did. - think I saw a few of em in the corner with tears in their eyes.  I'm not sure what the music did to those two but they straight murdered the decks. Power went out and er'thang y'all.. they are some stone cold fine chicks, all dainty and shit that hit harder than Tyson. Selection after selection kept the folks with lifted fist and pounding feet. They worked together like they had grown up in the same household. They were cohesive.  Like they new what the other was thinking they flowed like water. and just like water.... they gave us all LIFE! To see them play like that brought so much joy to my heart. Musically they know the benefit of what it is to be part of a collective whole and it showed in how they played off each other. There was no leader no follower just two fuckin phenomenal females leading the charge, and their people on a musical journey!- if we were marching off to war those two would be fearless Generals!

Gotta show much love to my Chicago family, they showed up to support- y'all they had matching light up shoes and er'thang.. and they came to DANCE!! They made the party more enjoyable with their infectious energy. Now, you know I would not be me if I didn't call out the obvious. I would have liked to have seen more Detroit family there., you say you love House well Kim gave ya what ya wanted.. times two! - Let's try to be a little more supportive of each other! - but Kim, don't have it at that place again.. I felt like I was on the corner of Blood and Crip LOL, as did a few others. But forget all that... ya Collisions lll was just what the Dr. ordered! Can't wait to see who plays next year. I did not stick around for Wilhite and Boxx's set. Them Phools know I love em. I was not missed, and I am sure they showed their entire ass(es)

So after being re-birthed by two women ( Minx and Alicia) I went over to Motor City Wine to get schooled by two Masters.. Norm Talley and Mike Huckaby. As it were, it was the record release party for Hucks new works. Let me pause here.. ok, I did NOT know Huck danced like the mans got mad rhythm too! Once again you could feel the love and understanding these two masterful DJs have for each other. They too had that ebb and flow. Never hogging the decks knowing without knowing what the other was thinking musically. They fed the crowd and calmed their hunger for good music, good HOUSE music. 

And who was there to support.. that damn Delano Smith and Eric Johnson. Hell, Jason Garcia was having a hard time containing his excitement his face may be permanently stuck with a smile on it. Train was there aka Reggie's little brother aka  Soiree, as well as John E. Collins..all there to support Mike before he gallivants off around the globe to spread his musical seed  impregnating all those who are blessed enough to be injected by him, musically.  They will birth the next generation of music lovers. 

I truly "heart" the Huckaby's Craig, the older of the two always educates me with that funky shit. Huck ( aka Michael or Mike or whateva you call him) is the more tech savvy and likes to play around with sound a tad bit more than his brother Huck likes the mechanics of music and sound.  IMO Mike is the better DJ, but Craig, he is my story teller he educates me in other ways.. no matter how ya cut it. Those two will always have my love and adoration. All I need them to do for me.. is to play a set together. ( ...and I know at least ONE of y'all is ready this so call ya brother and make it happen)- Thanks loves!- big stupid grin should be inserted here!!!

As I sat next to Delano, he nor I really disturbed each other outside of having small talk. It dawned on me how we supported one another. He leaned against me to get a photo of Norm and Huck. And as goofy as this sounds. I kinda, " got it" at that moment he needed me to be an anchor, he needed my support. Just like I need him and many like him to carry me\us, to take me\us away from whatever "this" is.. be it economical trying times, romantic situationships, family issues. Those DJs are our vessels they take us away from whatever "IT" is. They are the anchors of our community! They are our teachers. For some, they are role models, for others...peers, teachers, brothers, sisters, friends. 

I tell my story based on the places I go and the people I know. Never will I let another tell me about me or what role I played in this fabulous community of ours. You may hear two's and few's about me. but if you didn't hear it from me then chances are its wrong-no matter who it comes from!

We have a lot of history, and while some may skew history there are others who tell the right and correct story of how things happened. Of how each one of us played a pivotal role(s) in the others lives. I may not always get it right but I have a, "Delano"- y'all should get a Delano ( on sale now at Macy's) ROFLMAO and he always pulls my coat tail when I am wrong. I trust him because he was there in the beginning he along with many others. So if he says, "Nope PJ you wrong" I never take it as a personal affront. Sometimes I don't like it but what I DO have to do is respect it! Sometimes I want to fight him. But he went to Central and he's a pretty boy so he knows how to throw hands. 

You see not only does a community grow when a collective group of people come together for a common goal but also when we have respect for each role that the other has played! When an individual knows his/her worth, not just monetary. But their worthiness in the game. In their story on the foundation of this community.  When your history is written do you want fact or fiction? You know YOUR story..tell it. I can only do so much for this world of ours I am but one cog and when we put all those cogs together. When we stand in our truth, when we tell our own story, when we flow together like Minx and Dee Jay Alicia and Norm and Huck. Like Nervous and Jax like Pablo and Taz. Can you imagine how much greater our community will be... while you marinate on that


Let the Music Play

P~



3 comments:

  1. Thank You For Supporting Me...1,000 Thank Yous!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dope read as usual. I came a Lil later and got an earful from BOXX and Godson.You're absolutely right, DETROIT needs to support more. Shout out to WILJAZX for hauling equipment to the S. Much respect.....

    ReplyDelete