Translate

Monday, March 20, 2017

The Sonic Native.. or the night Magic happened!








A few years back, Earl Mixxen McKinney had the notion to form a group of DJs who had mad skills behind the table. That group consisted of his life long best friend and Detroit legend Al Ester Jr., and a new kid out of Boston name Chris Habibian. Chris had come to Detroit seeking his fame and fortune and was introduced to the Detroit House community by every ones favorite Hi Energy fitness goddess Nancy Gavoor. ( y'all know them Armenians stick together) - insert big cheesy grin.

The very 1st time I heard Chris, I dubbed him the Boston Banger he calls himself KidBibs - personally...I like my moniker better, but I'm kinda bossy that way!
Anywho... Chris came to Detroit and blew us away with his DJ stylings he was a young Cat with Vet skills and he loved the wax, vinyl that is!

Both Earl and I saw something in the youngin and my guess is once Earl put thought to action Chris was on board from the get go., and he did not let the newly formed Sonic Natives down! But times changed and Chris sadly had to leave to go back to Bean town but with lemons you make lemonade right...? So with Chris we expanded our Sonic Native reach and brand!

How did yours truly become the only chick in the group AND I can not DJ to save my children's lives.. welp, I'll tell ya! Earl and I just clicked.. we bonded we became like brother and sister ( and with that came all the sibling arguments) two strong personalities he, being the Scorpio and me being the Aries and all.. But I know Earl had a vision and I was his ride or die. Right or wrong I rode with him to help his vision become a reality.
 But enough about that, I've written about how we came to be.

I have to say, this Blog almost didn't happen! NEVER EVER tell me what I, "better" do! That is on no level cool or acceptable.. but calmer heads prevailed and I wrote it because "I"..ME..PJ wanted too! When you come to me, come correct or don't come at all! 



Then... Magic happened! He came from the windy city, he served our country, he's like some kinda kungfu master, and he's a DJ!

Now, when Earl 1st ask/told me about adding Magic to the line up I wasn't sure if this would be a good look. I was not all that impressed with his playing...real talk, but Earl was, and Earl had been in the game far longer than I had and he knew what he was doing. I had to concede to the one who had the acumen, and that was Earl!- insert "side eye".. ol' micromanagin ass (but only I can say that)

Now, it's pretty well understood that if I do not talk or write about you I feel ( and this is just MY opinion) that you need to go back and work on your skills. So what I am about to say is strictly my opinion I could be dead ass wrong but... well let me just continue writing and we will see where this goes.

I saw Mel as new to the game even though he has been djing since before his time in the United States Army. But to me Mel was just trying to find his footing here in Detroit. He is a Chicago native and they play much different than we do. So I had to adjust and become accustomed to his style. 

Welp!!! Let me tell ya, that dread locked DJ made a believer out of me last night! Now Ms. Iris ( who has been in the game a mighty long time and knows a thing or 3 about this music and DJ game.) Now SHE told me how Magic had showed his entire ass for her birthday back in February. I'd started hearing things. How Magic was coming with straight hard beats. Banging tracks, playing with all kinds of gusto!  

When Magic plays he has all the right moves, but I was not a big fan of the tune selection... but again, I had to allow him to teach me. I can be stubborn sometimes ya know! 

When DJ Magic hit the decks last night I knew everything Ms. Iris had told me was 100 % correct cause Mr. Magic took a hold to those tables and did not let them go until they begged him to! Magic had the room hyped and controlled them just like he controlled that mixer and fader ( look I like using DJ speak) allow me a little latitude here.  Track after track after track was a heavy hitter. Well, ok... The Fleetwood Mac track didn't fit with where the vibe was going but that's just me! 

Yes, Mr. Magic last night was your night. To me its like you came out of a shell and showed us who you REALLY are! I want you to KEEP playing just like that. Don't deviate, one iota You came, you saw, you conquered! 

...and while the views and opinions expressed by me may not be the same as others. I can say this.. Melvin Tuck, DJ Magic, Trey's daddy... you were ER'BODIES daddy last night the way you whipped the hell outta us with your tunage and style. 

At one point it was me and the Magic Man. I was deep into writing and he was deep into the beats. Together he was doing his thang and I was doing mine,  we were in sync. Magic made me feel what no other dj had made me feel before. I now know what it feels like to be in the zone! I was writing and he was playing and boy oh boy was that man in the playing zone. I didn't need to see the keys I was typing I knew where they were just like a great DJ knows where all his/her buttons knobs and controllers are. For a moment Magic was controlling my words and actions with his heavy deep beats! Last night Melvin went home. Not to Chicago, he went back to the motherland. He took us all on birthday journey! He played for himself.. but the gift of his style was to us! The floor was all a glow with feet stomping to his skills. Wow Magic... simply wow!  BLEW ME THE FUCK AWAY!!!! 

Never a selfish man he allowed his brotheren to join in on the fun, but this ain't about them Mumford Mustangs! - its about that light skin Cat from Chicago! - you know.. the one with the dreads. The one who created Magic! Flossmore Homewood High school ya dig! 

We hear you Mr. Magic, loud and very fucking clear! MOVEMENT is coming, Charivari is coming and there will be plenty of parties in between time and in the mean time. And as long as you play like you did last night!!! bay-BEE!  you gonna be too hot to handle and too cold to hold! 

And while I am no longer a Sonic Native, that group of rag tail DJs will always be MY boys, MY loves! We fight, we laugh, we love, hell sometimes we don't even speak! But each and everyone of the Sonic Natives are MY brothers, MY babies.. and I can talk about them.. but bet not nobody else say one word against them.. cause no matter what! Earl, Al, Chris, Melvin, Steve, and the newest member Big Rob Martinez Jr. will ALWAYS be my family and I will ALWAYS be their ride or die! - even when the do piss me off and I know I piss them off but, I'm the girl, the sister, that's my role in this thing of ours - (insert big cheesy grin) hey... that's family ya know!

I give credit where credit is due! To whom respect is given, respect is earned.. and Mel... to you all the credit and respect my brother...my friend! We hear dude... WE HEAR YOU!

Let the Music Play!!

~P


  

No comments:

Post a Comment