Translate

Monday, August 14, 2017

Charivari has come and gone, but as always the music and SHINE live on!



Image result for charivari detroit 2017this is how I see Detroit!




Yes, another, 1st weekend in August has come and gone. Team Charivari did a hellluva job promoting the, SHINE! The new venue is perfect for this ever growing event. Sometimes you have to move to find the right amount of space to SHINE! ...and while we ( and I say "we" because "WE" are all apart of this) had to do some movin and shakin I think we have FINALLY found a spot that will allow our SHINE to GROW... where we can let ourselves GO from this point forward. 

No need to rehash how it got started, Todd Johnson (no relation) tells it best., check out his page and ask him. He's a great story teller.. but only after he has had a nap and some milk and cookies, cause I know that brother is tired! Carol... get is favorite blankey please. 

- so I started this Blog at like 12:00 pm it'd going on 4:30...yeah, and this is all I got. 

ANYWHO!!! back to this past weekend. 

1st let me extend my sincerest apologies to Dave, Melissa, and Todd Weston. I'm sorry y'all, I will be back once I am totally mobile again. Until then, I am there is spirit everyday!

Two things that I heard over and over again at the Festival, "yeah...I like to new spot, a little dusty but I like it"! So, big ups to Team Charivari you guys did an excellent job. 

Thankfully the weather was cool and we SHINED not with direct sunlight but with inner sunSHINE! My thought is if it is to be held there next year- and I have heard that it will be, a cooling tent my be needed.. oh, yeah and a charging station. 

I love the fact that on Friday nights are designated as the "free" nights. It allows those who may work on the weekend a chance to get their groove on and work up a sweat. and while by 10:00 I was out like a light my ears to the street told me that Friday night belonged to, this Cat right here... Mr. Tony Dennis 
Image result for charivari detroit 2017word in them streets is, Tony Dennis was straight FIYAH, the man shut it DOWN- in my Kevin Hart voice. I knew the brother had it in him. But from what I have heard he likes that soulful sexy stuff that Gruv is known for. Welp, now you are more than just and internet international DJ you have earned what you SO rightfully deserve even more respect around Detroit. I expect to be hearing more from Tony.. and Yes Tony, you ARE a DJ! 

So, I get up and ready cause, in my mind I was going to turn ALL the way up on Saturday, I was in my element.. wit my peeps, lawn chair dancing, hangin, drankin, sangin, SHINING! ...and that is exactly what we ALL did. 

Let me tell you a little about the space. It sits right off the water nestled in between a high rise high ass rent apartment building and has the view of the Ambassador bridge just ahead. With a great view of Canada to the east. ( um, I think Canada is east of Detroit) I mean... whatever, you get my drift. 

Now the tents were kinda close to each other, but you have to take into account that they could not have the music too close to the high rise or to the residential homes to the left. So I dug why the stages were so close together. Plus I did not see a lot of areas where you could hook up all the electricity needed to run the stages, vendor booths, etc.. etc..
 The upside to that is, ya didn't have to walk far to hear your favorite DJs.  

The weather was perfect for this event just cool enough to keep us happy, while we heated the park up dancing and fist pumping...and yeah, folks complained about the dirt and ground, but to be fair there had been a concert/festival the prior weekend, and this IS Detroit. you know these negros don't take care of public property like they should.

...but nonetheless, we SHINED!

I did not get to hear some of the DJs "I" wanted to hear, but again.. Todd'nem wont let me in on those meetings cause they are afraid I'll eat all the snacks and stuff! I did enjoy hearing the new Cats that thrilled the crowd and put smiles on the faces of those who attended. 

Image may contain: one or more peopleOf course Tracey Marvin and Joseph James Hall came home to support this event, and to have that epic dance off that they are so known for.Image may contain: 1 person 

What I like most about these two is no matter what, they are bound to get the party started. They dance no matter what the crowd is like, as long as good music is played. 

And while the crowd was small compared to some other events the vibe was just as strong if not stronger. Because the players are those who live, work, and breath here. They are the ones who identify not only with the music but the heart and soul that is Detroit. They represent the best of the best new and old. 

YES!! I think Todd Weston, Malik Alston, Tink Thomas, Gari Romalis, Nervous Breakdown, Jeff Arthur, ALL three of the House Gallery Cats should have played.. but guess what, it ain't my event. YES!! I think Dave Spivey, Phil Tha Mixx, El Pavo Joe should be on the list next year. YES!! I know ALL this was started somewhere on the west side. but we've grown and with growth comes change. So just wait, Charivari is not a fly by night thing you will get your opportunity to SHINE. Simply submit your work, Im sure that is what most did. No one said you can get in just on the strength of you being a DJ or because you have known these people since Regan was in office. 

I do like the fact that Team Charivari tried to be inclusive and give others a chance. They show that when you have a dream, a mission, and a love for your city you can do anything. 

So Saturday was my favorite day, but by all accounts most people favored Sunday. 

Image may contain: 1 person, sitting and textAs the sun set, just as dusk was starting to settle in Mike Huckaby was on the box. Now, I don't know if he and God are one with each other but I will say this.... that man's entire vibe changed just as day was turning to night. Like it was effortless. He played some standards ( I wasn't use to him doing that). Then he came in with some ol' smooth shit sexy, melodic type vibe. 

I am STILL waiting to hear both he and his brother Craig play a set together- fellas, and I KNOW ONE of you are reading this. Can a sistah PLEASE get a set with the Huckaby brothers. MCW we can call it, I Love the Huckaby's or some silly shit like that. 

Image may contain: 1 personOf course Peter Croce came in and slapped us around with the stylings of the professional that he is. He is now a label owner - I believe it's Motor City Wine Recordings with David A-P, he is a true talent indeed. 

Image may contain: 3 people, people sitting, beard and indoorJohn Johr, as I was told was the hit of the day. But you know I stick with my favs and by the time he hit the stage I was out of battery life and could not take or post any video. But I got a chance to hear him at TV and that boy is slick! Minimal Techno sexy with a good ear for edits/remixes 

Image may contain: 2 peopleThe Ghita sisters ( they are so damn adorable) came in and played like two old pro's. I enjoy watching them because they give it to you two ways. One is more techno the other more of a House type vibe. They are up and coming and one's we should watch out for. 

Image may contain: 1 person, sittingTerry James, or TJ as I like to call him or Terry JAMS as I ALSO like to call him came and put a hurtin on folks., as I knew he would. TJ is so freakin HARD! the music is an extension of who he is at his core. I would like to hear him play around town more. I think he would be a good fit for House Galley night or Hot Pot or even a good old fashion DJ Battle at MIX... My money is going to be on Terry every time. Do NOT sleep on this Cat! 

Image may contain: 2 peopleMaking his appearance for the 1st time. DJ DSwin, this Cat plays with so much energy. He is probably one of the most passionate DJs Ive met. Another up and comer, glad to see Team Charivari saw the talent in this Cat and put him on the bill. Im sure we will be hearing more from him in the future!  

There were so many others who came out and made this weekend a success. It was nice to see the DJs there just to enjoy themselves and support their fellow DJs.  

My wish is that this location will become the permanent location for Charivari Detroit. Yes, OVERWELMINGLY most people preferred Milliken park or for me, it was the 2nd one on Belle Isle. 

But for things to grow, for people to grow, things have to change, and change can and will be good. 

Let's come together in the spirit of unity and the music, because that is ALWAYS the star of the show.

Please do not think for one minute, just because you're cool, or grew up with, or play all over that you will be chosen to play at any venue. Let alone a festival. Submit your work, put in the work.. hell... they do, and so should you!

This is a massive undertaking, money does NOT grow on trees. and for those who still think its ok to get that, "home girl/boy" hook up, its NOT OK!

If you're going to pay hundreds of dollars in May to see ( insert whomever) you mean to tell me you won't pay to see the Cats from your own city?! FOH ( fuck outta here) with that BS!

Aside from the music the best part of Charivari is watching the people come together. Seeing the DJ's show off looking at the smile on everyones faces. 

They do enjoy playing for the home crowd, and if you missed this year..you my friends missed on helluva show, we even had some international travelers this year.  

Yes, we are growing but like the city its gonna take us all to make this bigger and better than anyone had imagined. Right now, in this time, more than ever we MUST unite, and show solidarity for one and other. Put down your petty beefs and differences. yes, even I am going to do the same. Right now.. we NEED each other, and as always we need to 

Let the Music Play

~P

Image may contain: 6 people, indoor



No comments:

Post a Comment