Translate

Thursday, March 24, 2016

Osunlade, a night to remember! Or the night Marc Duncan reminded us he is more than just the sound man!





Remember I'd stated in several Facebook post that, I have had major issues with writers block. A good friend suggested I start writing down my thoughts while in the moment. So...I did, and the Osunlade was the 1st time I wrote, while in the moment. So if ya saw me standing off in a corner, or thought I was aloof and not paying attention, trust and believe, I was! To the crowd, the vibe, the music, and the people. ( I SEE EVERYTHING)

Hangin with one of my best buddies that night started with a bangin birthday celebration for the Chicago import Melvin "DJ Magic" Tuck. I did have my reservations about the party since it fell on the same night as Osunlade, but as it were. The Sonic Natives have a standing night at DRIVE and it just happened to fall on the same night. There is where I began to write, in the moment.

The music was on point and Magic took us on a funky, groovy ride, and his counter parts played for their fellow Native. Most important. The people danced and had a awesome time. ( this was also the night where I got in free for the last time.., well maybe not). Here is where Jon Easley made me realize support is necessary for the scene to continue.  Change begins with the person in the mirror, damn I'm going to hate that guest list life. But I mean.... there will be times when I need to be on one!  Let's just keep it real, we'd all like to be at the gigs, but the way our bank accounts are set up...

On to the next spot.. Cause Jon was rushing me ( scape goat) TV bar played host to this Yuroba Priest.. Who's music took us from the Motherland through the great jazz age to the funk and all musical spots in between. People grooved to the magnanimous musical prowess.

It was a birth, re-birth, and spiritual awakening, He is Osunlade, he is one for the mind! Sexiness was the mood of the evening, rich and decadent was the vibe in the building. All kinds joined at the hip by the soul of the music and the man who played it. Universal energy., body, mind, one in spirit connected in sound the reverberated through both walls. Alchemy, organic energy, The Priest lead his people and we were all grateful for his the medicine that is...the music. Most felt like it was an orgasmic experience that lasted all week. It was pleasure at it's most pleasurable.. ( yeah, that only make sense to me) ANYWHO...

It was my 2nd time hearing Osunlade, he is extremely approachable and he makes you feel welcomed into his world. You feed off of his vibe. This Midwest man owes his status to both Detroit and Chicago he took Techno and House and made it his own. Most don't even know Osunlade worked in production for Sesame Street pinning songs for the likes of Oscar the Grouch, and Mr. Snuffleupagus that's how far his reach is. Here is a man who can write for pieces of material then turn around and bring all kinds together in one big massive musical orgy., and he left you filled but longing for more.

I always like talking to folks on the patio, ( one of my favorite spots at TV) I love to people watch period. I enjoy seeing others having a funky good time. It was refreshing to see TV looking like the United Nations, conversing with each other, grinding on each other.. there, but on another plane of existence. He took you to the highest of highs and played nothing you hear on a weekly basis. He educated us! Oh I'm sure the DJs had heard most of the music before but for the lot of us, it was just that... an education. The dance floor stayed packed some in awe of the man who opted to spend his birthday here, with us, in Detroit, at TV! Yeah, Detroit House, soulful sexy House is gaining power again., and WE are in the middle of a revolution. We don't need this revolution to be televised, we don't want the watered down version of House we want pure natural House. Banging beats and love! and HE brought that..!!!!

I had the opportunity to talk to Aaran Daniels tall kid, like REALLY REALLY tall! Fresh off his gig with Delano, I'd asked Aaran what he liked about Techno/House. This kid spoke like this was imbedded in his soul. In part he stated this was the one place where if felt the openness to bring all kinds together no black white straight or gay just human beings! I'd love to have a conversation with him again. I got to meet Kevin ( a special shout out needs to be given to Kev) he helped put this all together, along with the usual suspects. Nancy, Rick, Bruce and Marc Duncan ( bang up job to that team)!

Now on to Mr. Marc Duncan, THAT MAN!!! Oh, Lord and sweet baby jeezus! He reminded folk he was NOT just the sound man! He played his entire ass off that night, had the walls in the blue room walls sweating.

Most often you see Marc putting up or taking down his sound systems, I love to watch Marc at the end of the night. Often by himself, he can break down a system in like 20-30 minutes and PLEASE do NOT get in his way! He may just run ya over! Marc has always been at the top of my list for favorite DJs but I did leave him for Norm, I mean.. he doesn't DJ that much anymore, and I need my fix on a regular., but I digress. Marc slung us around like a rag doll he played like his life depended on it! You had to stop and look up to see, "who the fuck was that behind them decks" and there he was always smiling ( except when its time to break down that equipment) he played slamming track after track, he NEVER let up. He gave left NO room for error! Marc Duncan gave you LIFE! It was like a Menage a trios. Now, I've never had two men at one time before.. but that night I did! Musically speaking I mean.. I'm no THOT ( that hoe ova there) but THAT night I was., and damn proud to have been one!

We all left with a euphoric feeling, we gathered at the river, and drank from well., that sweet nectar of the beat that quinces our souls, we rejoiced in dance, we embraced each others aura. We smiled, we had multiple orgasms all while clothed. We saw no color, no religion, no socio economic status, we only got and gave love. That night LOVE was shown, it started in the pits of our souls and escaped through our heads elevating our consciousness collectivly. We, were awakened!

Today we lost one of the pioneers of Rap, as I drove to work I was stopped at a light in the car next to me all I heard was commercialized music ( I can not stand the new music) but it reminded me, how lucky we are to have had Phife Dawg, J Dilla etc..etc.. they changed the game they made noise. They taught us. They made a statement through music! While the genre's may be different the message is still the same.

For those music makers.. aka producers keep producing because long after your gone. your mark will be left, and we will continue to

Let the Music Play,

~P






 
photo cred. Merrick Beavers
 

No comments:

Post a Comment