Translate

Saturday, August 10, 2013

The Music, The DJ, and The Dancers - We are ONE!




One week ago today, I was busy helping out with Judy Shelton's annual Backpacking for Success. Once again our children will be able to start the year off right. Over 500 backpacks were donated along with oodles of supplies. Thanks to all that came, shared time and energy and made it (once again..) a complete success!

There was an unlimited supply of fun, laughter, good times, food, and most important MUSIC! Ya had the Techno Militia, My family.. The House Gallery, Soriee Records International, Members of the Tandem, Christa and Murph ( who lend their talents EVERY year) Mr. Terrence Parker, Eddie Fowlkes ( did I spell his name right)- anywho....YOU know who he is. Other DJs from here in Detroit and beyond. It was a beautiful day for a picnic, a beautiful day to celebrate life, a beautiful day to help those who need it most. I was a beautiful day to DANCE!!!

Sadly, I got a call ( and a text) informing me that someone very special had been called home. It BROKE MY HEART. I had to take a moment to understand what I had just heard. I didn't know, what to do, how to feel, what to say, where to go. I was beyond grief. I just wanted to be alone. I couldn't cry then., I would have to wait. Where could I go., I was on an island. ( not just physically, but mentally as well). Did she just tell me that my god brother had just died??!! All I could think was, "I thought I had one more day". I was going to the hospital to see him the very next day. God had other plans. He called Kevin home to dance! He gave us that beautiful day to enjoy each other, unite in beats. At one point it looked as if it were going to rain. Oddly I remember looking up at the sky and the sun had broken through the clouds. ( it was right after I talked to Robyn)- it was at that moment that I KNEW Kevin was there. Ya see, Kevin was not only a great dancer. I loved music, and kids. I know, had he be able, he would have been there. Running from tent to tent trying to decide where he wanted to be, who he wanted to listen to, and helping the wee ones all at the same time. His favs..to my knowledge were Charlie and Brown. (aka..Bruce and Phil) DISCLAIMER- NO ONE KNOWS WHO IS CHARLIE AND WHO IS BROWN. Keep guessing peoples.

Looking up at the clouds..silently talking to both the Lord and Kevin I looked around to see just what the Lord and made...LIFE! I understood that while I was in my own lil sad world, life does go on..music will always be there and it IS what binds us in, This Thing Of Ours.

Kevin was not new to House music, he was new to our circle...but he ALWAYS loved House. Since August of 2012 you could catch him at L!V dancing the night away, hell ya could catch him at any spot..dancing the night away.

After some thought I decided to write a Blog about Kevin-he deserved it! Some may ask, "why"- welp..I'm gonna tell ya! ( you've heard it before)...MY BLOG...MY THOUGHTS! What I didn't know was how I was going to incorporate it into the theme of my Blog. So here ya go...

Without music or dancers there would be NO DJ, DJs...what would they play?! WHO would they play to?!

We are all part of the circle of life ( musically speaking that is) we are dependent on each other. When you combine the talents and skill of the producers, the styling's and selection of the DJs, and the "dance" of the dancers you complete the, "musical circle of life"!

Ya see while you all play, we dance, we love the way you make us feel. Some will just bob their heads, others will offer a sexy sway and rhythmic hip moves, get down and dirty with it. Others move across the floor as if their life depended on it.

It does not matter where your place in the world is...here or across the pond(over seas). People know what moves them. For those few hours we unite in dance and song.  Kevin was one of the best to ever hit the dance floor. ( I'm setting here writing this and I can see him smiling..dancing..L!Ving)

This past Thursday the House family united in the dance of life for Kevin. It made my heart feel good to see so many come out and support. His extremely tightknit family was there in full support. ( I think we may have converted his momma into a House Head)-lol and she is a dancer herself..she moves better than some half her age.

Tonight we will Lift our hands in the Sanctuary. We will once again, unite in music and dance. We will fist pump, feet stomp, sway, hip roll, move across the floor( as if our life depended on it) we will DANCE!!!

I loved to see the support and unity throughout this past week. We did something for our beloved Jeff Woodward, we helped send kids off to school with supplies, we helped with someone who is no longer with us here on earth. What we did this week was UNITE! It is my sincere hope, wish and prayer that this spirit continues.

It takes all of us to keep The MOVEMENT ( shameless plug) Alive! Vibrant! Exciting!

Thank you Kevin, thank you for memories, thank you for dancing, thank you for allowing us to know you for 49 years. You will live on, and I know you are dancing the day away in the clouds...beyond what we know... Down here, on earth, we will continue to


Let The Music Play

P~ aka Mikki - I love you big bro!


No comments:

Post a Comment