Translate

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The Chosen Few Picnic... A Celebration of House



 


Yeah.. well you didn't think I was going to go all the way to the Chi and NOT write about this... ( you are NUTS)-lol
 Ok, I know it took me long enough. No need for me to explain how The Chosen Few picnic got started..( hell you can Google that)- just know its here, and its held every year, and its a beautiful experience, and this should be on your Bucket List! One day of LOVE and food ( so much freggin food) SHOUT OUT to Celeste Alexanders, "NuBang" potato salad! OH, she can throw down!!! (my mouth is watering as I write this). Gotta also say that I HATE that I missed seeing the following.. DeeJay Alicia, MzNicky...The D'Vine one (more on why I missed you later). Ron Carothers (my faux facebook husband that I divor....never mind its a long story ) mostly I hate that I missed Paul Harrington Jr. aka Pablo Diskobar( I SO believe he is going ALL the way to the top!)- all I wanted to do was run and hug him like Ms. Celie and Nettie did at the end of The Color Purple.. oh and my brother from another mother Titan Davis-feel better lil homie!

I DID get to see my play cousin,  DJ Anji Stone, my peeps  DJs Christa and  Andre MURFFFF, Mz Nicky's husband, DJ Brett and, my absolute FAVORITE cousin EVER Tiffany Smith, DJ Boxx.. the rest was a blur~! I also found out the TRUE character of a person.. wow, you REALLY disappointed me, but alls well now but you were DEAD ass wrong. * yeah wasn't gonna let that one pass without comment*

Guess my love for Chicago begin before I was even born, ya see, my  great grandma and grandfather moved there from Tennessee and opened a lil grocery and restaurant my grandfather was born there and..., as family rumor would have it ( OK so my grandmother TOLD us) she was once a cook for Al Capone. Hell... I believe her she was like 105 when she died and she was rattling off her life story towards the end of her life. Plus Grandmomma new Jesus personally and would not lie about anything. ...but I digress. Her son owned a record shop somewhere on the south side, but none of my dumb ass family members remembers the name of it. So for the sake of this Blog we are going to call it James Record Shop since that was his name.

Coming to Chicago was always a joy for me because I got to see the one person who meant the world to me growing up, Tiffany Smith., no two cousins could have ever been tighter. I love and miss her daily.

Every since Mrs. O'Leary's cow set the city of Chicago on fire ( now, why anyone would leave a lantern and a dumb cow in a barn with hay still baffles me to this day) but again... I, digress. Its a city on fire... with many things to do and see., and its RIGHT down the street from Detroit. I wonder if you can still take Michigan Ave all the way from, The D to the Chi.??

Anywho.. the picnic. OK I'll give the history of the Chosen Few DJs as PJ sees it. ( and I could be wrong but I'm going to take dramatic/poetic license and make the story my own)-

When light skin was in... The story of Wayne Williams and Alan King( OK, I like that title) Onced..(yes, ONCED) upon a time you had two friends, both loved music. One, a dynamic, energetic, people person the other, a strong willed, thinker, pensive and smart. My guess is one played football the other basketball the two took the knowledge they learn on the court/field and the love of music and started something that has lasted for over 30 years..and like the Whispers, It just gets better with time. ( I will be referencing the Whispers a lot in this Blog). The error was Disco, the music was tribal, the feeling was intense.

---Funny how Disco ended in Chicago and House was born in Chicago. The Alpha and the Omega so to speak.

I'm thinking it was the early 80's, they seem to be the same age(s) as my sisters... only my sisters are not as talented. One went on to pursue his love for music and became a VP at a major record label.  The other became an attorney. ( while doing some research on these two I found out that Alan's middle name begins with an "S")- must stand for Super DJ.
However the story of the two light skinned men started, 30 years later we're here... and the beat goes on. They went on to add other members, the Hatchett brothers,. Mike Dunn, Jesse Saunders and...( sorry y'all I hate to pick favorites, but...) my favorite Chosen Few DJ, Terry Hunter.. oh, excuse me, that's the LEGENDARY Terry Hunter. - the man just does it to me. (musically speaking that is).

Last year was my 1st Chosen Few picnic I was in ABSOLUTE awe of the LOVE that was shown that day. Now, normally when you get a few of, "US" in an area a few fights are bound to break out...NOT the case here. It was so much love, so many willing to give, so many hugs, smiles, a lot of laughter, and a few tears...of joy that is, and some of the most awesome music I have ever heard. ( side note: I think the sound system was waaay better last year)- my Blog, my thoughts.

Picture a park.. any local park, now, throw up some tents, grills, food, add people, stir in some sounds..and a heaping helping of music, top it off with some incredible DJs...and,  BAM!!!! there you have it the makings of an all day event that keeps you coming back every year. I guess its the Woodstock for House Heads but this one has been going strong for over 23 years. My guess is its not going to stop. I only meant just to wet my feet, but they pulled me in., yeah me along with about a gazillion others.

This year I decided that I was going to be in the dance area., the big dance area and when I tell you to see all those beautiful people, dancing, giggin, vibin. I just hate I missed Alan King, must not be in the cards for me to hear this House Cat. or as I like to call him, the Barrister Banger. But I did get to hear Wayne Williams.. he took it BACK, like every time he played a song I was geeked as hell..then I realized I didn't have a clue to 80% of what he was playing...why, because he took us back to the originals..the birth of House....Disco, Funk, Soul. and he does it well!!! Oh so so well. Here is a man that can be anywhere and I do mean anywhere..but every year at this time he's home, doing what he loves best. Playing for you, playing for me..playing for his peers. He seemed to be enjoying every minute of it. ( I made sure I was close to the stage) I love to watch a DJs face..its almost the same as the face of someone making love with someone they love, its beautiful, not hurried, oh but its not gentle..but its still love making all the same.

I listened to the Hatchett brothers(thems some out cold brothers too), and of course the baby of the bunch, Mike Dunn., but the one who perks me up every time is that Terry Hunter. Now I love to watch Mike play, I love to hear Mike play.  Mike has mad skills both as a DJ and producer- he IS the TRUTH! Its just something about Terry, his selection is top notch, he's funky wit it. I don't know what he has produced but I know the boi can spin his ass off!

I watched Alan sit on the speaker, looking exhausted but happy with the days events. Most likely glad when it was over..but the excitement was shown in his smiles. I wasn't at the stage when Mike and Terry played.. but I know their style and sound( ok and it was announced when it was their time to play) but like my own kids... I know em when I hear em.

The parties are inFRIGGENcredible. Last year I got to see and hear Louie Vega, this year I got to party at The Shrine..( it was walking distance from our hotel)-nice, noice spot too. Now I will say this, the folk in Chicago..PARTY, if the DJ is playing they are dancing. You may see a few socializing but for the most part they are giggin...HARD! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that about the Chi. I did not get to go to the L26 party, I was off on a whirlwind adventure thru the streets of Chicago on foot., in the drizzle, with dead cell phones, a tent and two folded chairs, and some of Celeste potato salad...and I HAD TO PEE!!. Like REALLY bad. TMI but SO, my Blog...MY thoughts. I really wanted to go see the ladies... all of them are that deal. However a lil bird told me DeeJay Alicia murdered the tables. I'm so sorry Alicia, Nicky, Celeste, Christa and Stacey I really wanted to be there but God had other plans- which included a 5 mile walk! SMH, but it was needed and I got to talk to my best friend all the way.

If you have yet to experience The Chosen Few Picnic I HIGHLY suggest that you do so! Yeah, MOVEMENT here in Detroit is GREAT! but for TRUE lovers of House, the Chi is where ya need to be for this one day, wonderful event.  

Thank you Wayne and Alan for your vision, talent, tenacity, skill, and love of the music. Keep doing what ya do! Thank you Jesse, Andre, Tony, Terry, Mike for being OUTSTANDING DJs. Thank you city of Chicago for embracing the music, the movement, and the people who flood your city for this event. Thank you for all the people that showed each other love one this day. Thank you God for watching over everyone who traveled, and partied, with those dynamic group of DJs . Thank you for the Brownies.. and Nicks liquor store in Hammond Indiana.

Can't wait to do it all over again next year.

Let The Music Play

P~







No comments:

Post a Comment