Translate

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Step in the name of love..or The night I made a COMPLETE fool of myself in front of Wayne Williams





Each year Judy Shelton holds her annual Backpacking for success. Wonderful event aimed at helping the wee ones start the school year off right with the basic tools needed for school.
I have had the pleasure of  working for Judy at the event, I must admit this is one hectic weekend but the benefit is so worth the headache.
We have DJs, food, and kids (of all ages) and.. there is a tax deduction for ya.

While I was unable to assist this year I stayed abreast of the goings on from start to finish...except ( insert dramatic music)...the DJ line up. I knew old favorites would be there..  Ya Christa's and Murphs (aka...MEARFFFFFFF), ya Emixxins, Godmothers, Lefemme's and the like. All there to lend their talents to a worthy cause.

This year was no different, or so I thought. The event is always held at the end of summer and this year Judy and John (E.Collins) decided to hold the event in the New Center area..(but I LOVED Belle Isle guys) ok, NOT my event, I don't get to make the call...( I get that)-smile.

Anywho... the event went on as planned and of course I was at L!V...(is my name on the building cause I am ALWAYS there) or so it seems... LC had given a party and I was there dancing the night away.

While I am a CONFIRMED House Head.. I also LOVE LOVE LOVE R. Kelly (he is a musical phenom) so this day I had been singing ( in my head) Step In the Name of Love, over and over and over again.. I kept wondering "who is Wayne Williams" little did I know I was bout to find out. True to PJ fashion by sticking her foot DEAD in her mouth! (HEY... I take ownership of MY mess ups)-smile... and DON'T act like its just me..plus, "playas fuck up". LOL.

The end of the night had rolled around and all the party people had gone home. The only ones there were LC, Emixxin BB and someone else( can't really remember who)   In walks. Stacey Hotwaxx Hale, Allen C. Ester Jr., Judy Shelton, John E. Collins and this big yella dude with glasses. I was tired from the days events so I sat my happy tail on the lil love seat and listened as the DJs swapped stories and laughed the wee hours of the morning away. Ready to go but not wanting to leave because I was enjoying watching the DJs (mostly Al) talking and laughing..I love to see people have a good time.

So the big dude was sitting by the DJ area and I noticed he kept looking my way..(not in a, "hey I wanna get with you kinda way") He was looking at me like, "why is she sitting there by herself". He motioned for me to come over..

Now, I told y'all I have a big ego, so don't be surprised by what I am about to write..I'm thinking, "light skin ain't in no mo homie, so please do not try the playa pimp move"- he didn't.  Instead we struck up a really nice long convo. I ask him if he was at the event..he said," yes I was one of the DJs", I said..(with twisted lips and ultra ghetto ass, teeth sucking, neck rolling ghettoness) "and just WHO are YOU!.. he said, " my name is Wayne Williams", blink..blink..blank stare! Y'all I bout fell out my seat with that "funeral faint"..Im talking bout church revival faint! In my mind I'm thinking, "I have just made a complete FOOL outta myself! At the same time I'm thinking..OH GAWD ITS WAYNE WILLIAMS..OH-MY-GAWD- ITS Wayne "muthafuhkin"Williams. (insert big ass lump in my THROAK)- all this took place in a matter of 30 seconds but it felt like 5-10 mins..but ya girl was "Oranjuice Jones" cool. I played that mess off like nobodies bi'niz. I said, "ya know what's funny Mr. Williams (yes, at this point I felt courtesy and respect would be beneficial) he said, "stop, just call me Wayne". I go on to tell him that I had been singing the R.Kelly tune all day and was wondering who this Wayne Williams was..welp, there he was in the flesh..and me, the chick with NO "PAUSE" button! If I was white I would have been 10 shades of red with embarrassment! You could have bought me for .2 cent that night! I had to pick my jaw up off the floor..

So I get home hop my happy butt right on the Internet and Google this Cat, (trust...but ALWAYS verify) and there he was Mr. Big Yella himself. Wayne Williams, Chicago Il. Grammy award winning producer, SVP A&R yadda, yadda, yadda, and one of the Chosen Few. Not just ONE of the Chosen Few but Mr. Chosen Few!

 Fast forward to the day after Thanksgiving, So we are all at TV- the night one of the Chosen Few DJs got me pregnant, and who should be sitting in the VIP area..yup, yours truly..Miss "Insert foot in mouth",. but so was Earl and Al-lol I just thought I was hangin with my peeps. I didn't know it was for the Chosen Few DJs. Soon as I saw Wayne Williams I hopped my butt up and never went back. See in my mind I'm thinkin..HE'S thinking. "damn this chick again"- that man did not remember me but I remember that embarrassing night, so I jetted with the "Flo Jo" quickness.

My life in this community is full of fun, great times, and wonderful people. I have been to places abroad, Ive been to both the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans, I have swam with the Dolphins. I was there the night the newest member of the Chosen Few, Mike "GOD made HIM funky" Dunn turned TV bar OUT! I have had more than most, and now to that I can say, I, Paula M. Johnson have had the pleasure of meeting a Grammy winner.. A GRAMMY winner y'all (insert Charlie Brown happy dance)! Funny thing is, while that impressed me, the fact that he is one of the originators of the Chosen Few impressed me more. Because, while I LOVE music, I LOVE R. Kelly..my PASSION is and will always be House music, and that night I met one of the GREAT ONES...


Let the Music Play

P~



No comments:

Post a Comment