Translate

Friday, January 19, 2018

Tag team Battle or The night Chicago handed our asses to us on a platter!


Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling, text





When I started this Blog it was about the parties, somewhere along the lines it got a little "off". Feelings and emotion became involved. But hey!!! Music makes ya emotional and when you have a connection, a family like connection, feelings also become involved.. (more about that later) Lets talk about this damn battle!

Ya know, I'm not really sure when the battle resurfaced but it has been gaining momentum since coming back on the scene. I was told that they were pretty much common place back in the day. I didn't start going until Bruce brought it back to M!X and that is the vantage point where I will be speaking. Cause honestly ya can't speak on what ya don't know!

Bruce ( The brand don't build itself) Bailey, being the forward thinker that he is brought it back. Listen in all honesty the Thursday nights at M!X had been losing steam and this monthly battle has helped to bring that love we have for M!X back. I've seen it grow over time. We have ( yes..."WE") cause we all make this what it is, anyway we have seen battles with folks from Atlanta, Detroit, and Chicago. Mostly our Detroit DJ' battle each other so its always a refreshing change of pace when others come in to lay their musical talent and skills down on these tables in Detroit. 

bu..bu..but when it comes to those battles between Detroit and Chicago you are guaranteed to have your mind shook and your feet on the dance floor. Remember when Rasheed Wallace use to "garunSHEED" it. Well, I garunP it. The Detroit vs Chicago battles are NOT one's you want to miss. 

Not to take ANYTHING away from the Detroit vs Detroit battles because those have been a blast as well. Most notable was with Mike Micahnik, and Reginald Swinton. Others with Reggie Harrell and the like. But this ain't that..  

This battle happened simply because of a conversation. A conversation between Boxx aka Reg Anderson and myself. I try to keep new ideas flowing I mean the House music scene in Detroit is not what it use to be. Hell nothing is. 

...Im going to get off subject here for just a tad bit. 
 while yes the House music scene has been losing a tad bit of luster, fun, and togetherness. I MUST take a moment and shout out Shatoya Collins she had a vision and came with something fresh and new she made it what it use to be, about the promoter and getting good talent. Her Wednesday nights at STARDA is looking real good y'all I highly suggest you check them out!

Now let's tie this in to the reinventing of the House music scene and how it relates to the battles. At some point it all becomes mundane, same ol' same ol' so to speak. So just like Bruce brought the battle back. I wanted to kick it up a notch. So me and Reg... or Reg and I for you grammar prudes LOL just talking back and forth about the scene and working together came up with the idea for a "tag team" battle the Chi vs the D. I presented that idea to Bruce and Bruce being Bruce (always reinventing and keeping the scene alive) liked the idea. I hand picked each DJ- some said they weren't interested and that's cool. In the end the DJ's that were selected were perfect fit! and THAT's how the fight started. 
The fight between who would be victorious and the inner fight in myself - here is where I get into my feelings and emotions, please allow me a wee bit of latitude. When I give credit, its to ALL involved because I appreciate what each one of you bring to the table. So to have brought this idea to the table.. and NOT ONE mention of "thanks" a, "shout out" NOTHING last night! That made me feel some kinda way! Call it what you want but at some point I have to toot my own horn, hell I've heard so many others toot their own horn.. why NOT me! There have been more than a few parties I have been involved with and nothing.. crickets.. well I realized no one will know if I don't say so! Cause if I waited all people would think is that I am a re-poster of events, a Blogger, and now a, pop up interviewer! I sing your praises and you motherfuckers can't even say, "thank you". Now I know folks will have something to say behind this.. well, ok! So! AND?!?!? There might be subliminal post or talk back and forth between a few but one thing I will do is speak up this time I'm speaking up for PJ! Call it modesty, call it whatever you like I should have been more vocal about my involvement in the few parties and events I have been involved in. But stupidly I thought someone would have used the common courtesy they were taught.  I have to begrudgingly take ownership of that part! But I am human and little things mean so much- but wait.. Titan and Pauly did show love and for that I thank you! .. thankfully most of the parties I have had something to do with have been a success! So I will stick that in my proverbial pipe and smoke it! In closing (insert LOL) If I continue to give you the support and love, show me some as well! 
Ok off my soapbox, let me blow my nose and wipe these tears and continue on with this Blog. 

It did my heart so much good to see everyone and I do mean EVERYONE having a good time. Dance floor stayed packed, the bar was making money, folks were groovin, I have't seen that kinda love in a while at M!X. So make sure you all come back EVERY Thursday. 

 I made sure I tried to personally thank everyone for coming out. Cause they didn't have to! Its winter AND a weekday!! Folks came out to show love to the scene, the music, and the DJ's at the very least I had to say, "thank you"...and let me add this. I'm not doing this for bragging rights. I do this simply because I LOVE this scene, this music, and the people. I care about each and everyone of the DJs that spins. 

If my name has anything thing to do with a party ( which is rare) I try my best to keep everyone in the loop, and I make damn sure everyone gets paid! Be it by myself or by the powers that be.  This was no exception. I try to align myself with the right people to keep what I love alive and flowing. Can a sistah get an envelope with some dead white men on green cloth PLEASE! lol 

...back to the battle
We talked smack, cause hey... that what what ya do! I fancied myself as the Donna Queen of the House music battles.. mostly, I had fun with it. 

Ya know you must love the music to drive up on a winter day and showcase your talent(s).  I believe in the talents of Joey Thomas, Mike Micahnik, Pauly Cicero, and that damn Maurice L. Davis ( and the "L" stands for Light that ass UP) or (Laid that shit down)!

What I DO know is this, for the most part every time a battle between Detroit and Chicago happen(s) Chicago comes along and straight RIPS it! Last night was NO exception. 

Image may contain: 1 personJoey came out with what I thought was an good intro and played some nice tunes. As always his precision and execution was flawless. There were a few times I wanted to throw a shoe at Joey because he was just playing some groovable shit!

Image may contain: 1 person, sitting, eyeglasses and indoorMike has, in my opinion a VERY strong intro smooth as silk playing style with great tune selection to boot. I've been a big fan of Mike's for some time now. He never disappoints.   

BUT!!!! When you go first you REALLY have to hit them with everything that you have.  You can NOT rest on your laurels!  You must hit them with both the kitchen and the bathroom sink. As vets you should NEVER lose your crowd. To me, going first is too much pressure it gives your opponents the upper hand, because obviously they know how to come back at you. So with that being said. You give them a run for their fucking money! You make them sweat! Musical jabs were taken during Mike's set which added to the back and forth playful bickering. That was a nice and fun touch. 

....and then, came Titan Davis 

Image may contain: one or more peopleNOW, like Earl Mixxin McKinney I too was torn between who I wanted to win. I love my hometown favs but I also knew that Chicago was going to come strong. I have so much mad love and respect for Chicago. Their DJs are just well rounded and I haven't seen one yet that has made me yawn. Ya see Maurice aka the Guillotine has a message and that message is seek and destroy.   

 Ol'boy did just that! He sought an destroyed.. and had the nerve to do it from a seated position wearing a Detroit Tigers hat! My thought was, "oh. this fitten to be ugly. I'm talking UG-A-LEE! The crowd formed both on the dance floor and around Titan. He had us at his full command! Now HIS intro was a fucking BEAST! POINT BLANK PERIOD. I will just say this... Maurice single highhandedly killed everybody! People were on the floor, the judges left the table and started giggin and I have NEVER seen that happen at ANY battle I have attended. I looked over and Tomika was out of her seat fist pumpin. Monica just said, "fuck it" and got her butt on the floor and danced her ENTIRE ass off! Nicole as rockin in a seated position. Hell even Art and Snake were getting down and its hard to please those two. Cause Snake is like that uncle that goes around sayin, " a hard head makes a soft behind" and Art just gives you enough rope to hang yaself with! So to get THOSE two groovin means you did the damn thang!

The set between Pauly and Titan had a hiccup but none that really mattered to the people. Maybe to the judges but hell I was just there basking in the glory of what was taking place. It was more technical shit anyway so I guess it really didn't matter. 

Image may contain: night and indoorI dug the mix Pauly did with Hamilton Bohannon's hit Lets start the dance, that edit or remix or whatever you call it, I need that in my life er'day! yeah big Pauly that was cute.. coming in swinging a cut by a Detroiter.. real cute bruh! And while I loves me some Pauly Lord knows I do.. Last night belonged to Titan!

Funny thing is I 1st met him when Dee Jay Alicia came to play for the very 1st party I did ( more about that later) He'd given me a CD and honestly I was SO not impressed. Then I started following him on sound or mix cloud. I forget which one. And ya girl had to eat that tough bird called crow. So I knew when Boxx couldn't play Titan was a great alternate! and I knew I'd wanted to give Pauly yet another opportunity to play here in Detroit! Titan would have given old Reginald a run for his money last night!

What I liked most about Titan was he TRULY came to get all the way down. Not to shit on the other guys Pauly included but Titan just... I mean.. I don't know what to say, he just mesmerized us! He took us back to what House music is and was all about! He made us dance and THAT my friends is what a DJ is supposed to do! PERIOD!

 Both Titan and Pauly brought Chicago House to a Detroit House and that ran the damn decks. Chi town family you woulda been proud to say the least! I encourage each and everyone of you reading this Blog to look both Titan and Pauly up on Mix or Soundcloud you will most certainly not be disappointed. Taz aka Jeff Arthur told me Titan was a beast and Taz is a pretty reliable source! I would love to see Titan play on a Beautiful Sunday for sizzle!
 and if they're here for any extended amount of time both he and Pauly need to get in the Bassment with Mollie and The Butcher aka Sean Tate.

I likened this battle to rap battles the spit game or spin game if you will,  was nothing but fiyah baby! I know and OVERstand that at this point nothing is free and to know that those two put their best foot forward made me a believer again, it made me believe that it ain't just about the skrilla ( money) It's about the pride, the love, the braggin rights, the camaraderie, the respect for the game and each other. Last night was what House music should always be about. 

It had a slight twist to it, being a tag team battle and all. They talked smack before hand which gave folks a reason to come out and hear what was about to happen. We laughed, joked, danced, and hugged. But in the end.. we got our asses kicked y'all LMAO like on some real Beat Street dane off type, Chin Tiki / Hip Hop shop rap type battles! And let's just call a spade a negro here.. we have all spoken about who has the better DJ's. - insert devilish grin..

My wish is that this continues, my hope is that it continues with some other heavy hitters like... Tink Thomas and Al Ester vs Fiddy Mills and Boxx.. or Rick Wilhite and Minx vs Dee Jay Alicia and Terry Hunter!- ooh now that would be a good one... but the way my bank account is set up, well you know the rest! You would mos def have to charge for that event....and the people would pay TRUST ME ON THIS!!!

The battles also give folks a reason to come hear you at other venues, when you give your personal best and slay them tables, people listen, they start to follow. You can't just go around claiming how great you are.. with won battles you have concrete proof of how great you are..how the people gave you mad props and shout outs. Head counts and bar sells matter ya know! 

I am so grateful to Bruce for this. Let's keep this up. the momentum is there, time to elevate it (something I know you like) and by all the Facebook live(s), and dancing last night I know the people want more! BB, well... ya got to give him props he keeps reinventing the wheel. And that is something we should all be happy for. 

Like I always say, promote what you love., and I love House music! I love the people in the scene. Change is good, love is better! Show and give love to everyone you meet and greet. Dance in the spirit of time because it is so precious and once its gone the dance is over. 

Image may contain: 9 people, people smiling, crowd and outdoorLike I said earlier I became acquainted with Titan when I threw my very 1st party. It was a party for Cancer awareness, an all female lineup and pink was the theme color. A few days ago we lost the lady leading the charge for Cancer awareness and for whom the party was given. She was everything good, kind, sweet, sexy, fabulous, fierce, and stylish. She embodied what House music is about. She shared love and received love, she danced through pain and now she has her wings Angela Patillo - Burns you will be missed and will ALWAYS be loved! Pink Love Forever lady..as someone said, "she needed a hero, so she became one" last night was bitter sweet for me but I will stay strong, as will all of you because if nothing else she taught us all valuable lessons, she shared her journey. We are all blessed to have been touched by her incredible strength and courage. This Blog is dedicated to your memory. I love you, WE love YOU!!! Please continue to watch over us all Ms. Lady and a Lady is what you are. God has yet another House head to keep the party going and we will always...Image may contain: 9 people, people smiling, people dancing, crowd and outdoorImage may contain: 9 people, people smiling, people dancing, crowd and outdoor

Let The Music Play,


P~

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling


1 comment: