Translate

Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Cedric Hesley.. the man, the move maker...The HEAT seeker!!






A few years ago I was introduced to a man by the name of Cedric Hesley. Bright smile all of 6'4" big dude with a grand personality. Always a smile on his face, except when he becomes the door man, ( don't ask, you're not getting in free... aka, "there is NO quest list tonight").

What I like about Ced is, he always has time for a person to pitch and idea for a party, and he can make it happen! I'm sure this does not come without headaches and attitude, but being who he is he can navigate the waters pretty smoothly.

Like most Ced began as a DJ., he along with Marius, Aaron Hart, Raynard Wells, Ron Cook, Joey Thomas, John Johnson, collectively known as, Audio Mix. Their competition... Direct Drive as both, party givers and DJ's. So Ced decided to go another direction..and that has paid off for him. His 1st big party was held at St. Andrews Hall. The line up included, Chip E, Lidell Townsell, Adonis, and Chosen Few's own Mr. Wayne Williams. The Cotton Club gave way to his other musical interest. (anyone remember the EU party) Ced is by no means new to this game. He was even instrumental in bringing out radio DJ Gary Chandler. He's not just House... he is music, he does this for the love of it all. 

Meeting up with Steve Butler and Bruce Bailey., at Lola's Ced opted to partner with Bruce and Steve and bring them into the HEAT family, it had already consisted of Marius, Aaron and, of course Ced. ( a little later they brought in a lil pistol starter named Tracey Marvin)- and the rest is history. That paid off by bringing the likes of Peven Everette, Monique Bingham, Dajai, and countless others. He even brought Chico DeBarge for my birthday. I mean, he didn't do it FOR me...but in my mind I'd like to think so.

Ced is a forward thinker. Already lining up newness for spring 2016..taking you back to where this all started. 

Ced, going back to his DJ roots came from the Ken Collier school of training. Was taught to DJ by Dewayne "In the Mix" Bradley, and like most others spent a good deal of his time getting to know other notable Detroit DJ's at Buy Rite music. 

  He knows who his biggest supporters are and appreciates them. He gave a mad shout's out to LaSonia Irving Link, Tomika Murry and Tamar Dunn.. who's support damn near every party he has ever thrown. 

Ced to this day is still the only promoter to have a radio spot for a House music event. That's saying something as we are an underground movement! 

I'd ask Ced, "why do you do this"? "Passion for the music, its a very expensive hobby". Ced has even been instrumental in music production for some of the hottest tracks you've heard. 

As I am writing this I now see that Ced had that I-94 connection, long before I coined the phrase and others started bringing Cat's in from the Chi. I was there both times Chosen Few's Mike Dunn has performed. You see what Ced does is, bring the face to the music we hear and love. I mean, yeah we bring in DJ's Ced brings in the music makers., and for that he must be given his props! Ced is the, behind the scenes "front man". He taught me the value of making sure all "I's were dotted and T's crossed.  Most importantly he taught me to be friendly, be personable but when you working that door... get yo money, friendship ( and I'm speaking for myself) does  not apply when you have acts and venues to pay for. Even though I've only had a few parties, NO DJ can EVER say they were NOT paid. Thank you for that lesson Cedric. 

I'd like to think that Ced can flow through this crazy insane world of ours without the person that makes him better... Tina Hesley, you see a woman that understands her man needs a hobby outside of the home, or has a passion for a life most do not understand then it makes it that much easier to have a clear mindset to get the job done. I even heard Delano Smith say, the best thing to happen to him was his marriage., and how his wife keeps him not only in line but also in check! Mad mad shout out to REAL men who understand that this life is nothing without the right person to share it with. 

Honest but not foolish... you deal with him on the up and up and he shall do the same. He keeps himself at arms length, but is also extremely approachable.  No ego, or self glory, no postings on everything that he's doing. He just get's the job done. 

Another thing I admire about Ced is.. he does NOT wait until he is having an event to make his presents known. He will show up at your party. Have a drink some light convo and then its on to his next stop. 

What does the future hold for Mr. Hesley, well I'm not for sure.. we ain't that cool for me to know all the mans business.. But I know enough to say., stay tuned and keep your eyes and ears open. 

In the meantime.... Check out the Sonic Natives 

http://www.traxsource.com/track/2827278/the-sonic-native-anthem-steve-miggedy-maestro-mortimer-snerd-iii-retouch  
Let The Music Play!!!

~P


2 comments:

  1. great article.. he was long over due for a shout out.. GREAT JOB!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article! Playing the Sonic Natives tune on my radio station. #whatupdoe

    ReplyDelete