Translate

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Motor City Wine..Good Vibrations, Did I mention they have WINE!!










With all the hustle and bustle that is/was MOVEMENT weekend the last stop I made was at one of my favorite hunts... MCW.  It was there that I got to hear some of the most talented international DJs.  Thomas Detune (Belgium)- this kid is going places, my brother Deejay D-Former (France)-flawless DJ, Rennie Foster (British Columbia)- his mixes and ear for music is top notch and Claus Bachor (Germany)- I have to stop here and mention, not only is Claus one helluva DJ but that man.. SWEET JESUS- while he aint bad lookin now, but back in the 80/90's he was so damn good looking he could have been a Hollywood A-lister. I may not have understood one word of German, but his ass was so damn fine I would have just smiled and nodded- and to think, I thought only German cars where a thing of beauty.  My Detroit favs.. The House Gallery,  Jay Ramsey ( new father and keeper of the Afro) Jason Garcia ( tune selector extraordinaire) and the one I have coined Bruce Banner aka Adam Francesconi. ( don't let that mild manner exterior fool you) once Adam gets behind the tables he turns into a formidable BEAST!  The incredible Jeff Arthur, Derrick Thompson and DJ Raybone,  You couldn't get more of an international flavor if you were are Ihop., and all for FREE!!!

That day was just like the absolute best for so many reason's one of them being the venue. I've spoken about the Life that is L!V now M!X, the underground feeling that is The Grasshopper.. The system that is TV! With the MCW you get, understated elegance, fine wine, good vibes and awesome host.
I can imagine what's on the club/bar minds., and this goes for all of them, Tree, Angie, Troy and the A-P's.. it must be a pretty heavy load.. but with good music, a stellar staff, and regular crowd maybe is puts the mind at ease.

  Raven and James behind the bar.  David and Melissa keeping watch, and if the DJ is real REAL rite.. you will see one of the coolest dudes to ever grace the planet DANCE.  The Cat I'm speaking of is the owner of this swank lil place I call home. David and his fireball of a wife and the life of any party Melissa A-P

-- ok I have to take pause, cause I now have like several homes.. and I love them all., but when I want to chill with my sisters, Tracey, Tomika, Lori, Laurie, Em, Dora, Stephanie, LaRhonda, Che, Lisa, Biggie Smalls (damn its a LOT of y'all heifers) THIS is the place I like to be. By the time we leave that place the fun times are ingrained in us all. Not to mention the MANY bottles of wine we have managed to guzzle down!

They started on Jefferson just above Forans, from its inception this is the place where vinyl SHOULD be played. These two folks ( hereto and henceforth known collectively as the A-P's or Dave and his Boo Thang or Melissa and her Stud Muffin)- well those two have carved a spot in the House community and built both the 1st and the new location with love, a good 5-10 plan, and hours upon hours of sweat equity. Maybe that's what endears that place to me so. 

Now, with David what you see is not really what you get., yeah he IS quiet, and seems to be a bit standoffish, but if you work from quit to can't and you have a wife that is on 1000 like 24 hours a day hey, it's what works for him. He smiles, he dances, he loves what he does and has, everyone has a chance with him.. (well not everyone) but you understand. Not to mention...he's Canadian lol... Funny story: I did NOT think he was a real person- cause I never saw the dude. When I DID finally meet him, I had the same reaction as the M&M's did when they met Santa for the 1st time. - (Christmas commercial reference)


Dave's Boo Thang,. Here is a person that is a human rainbow, flower, unicorn, cotton candy, she is everything that is beautifully human.. everything that little girls are made of all wrapped up in one itty bitty package covered in 100% pure goodness. She couldn't be more sweeter if Willy Wonka made her himself.  Don't be no fool however, she is smart as a whip and is the Yin to his Yang.  There are times I wonder, "where in THEE hell did those two hook up and just WHO did the hookin"? cause they are so different. I guess Opposites DO attract and I'm glad they did.

Together they have (again) built a solid foundation for House and Jazz, the people that walk in there are from all walks of life. Uptown, downtown, otha towns, and its something for EVERYONE! From Whodats vinyl sets, Scott Ashleys, Jazz, The white militant midget ( Good Times reference) aka Todd Weston ( The Hot Pot), the smiling Huckaby,  Criag.. Rick Wilhites, Beautiful Sunday...its just THEE "in" spot!- its no passing faze they are here to stay!

Along with a wide selection of wine, you are bound to hear or run into some of the BEST House has to offer.. and none of these people need a last name. Delano, Cordell, Tom Linder, John, Scott (Grooves- ok I needed to differentiate) Carl Craig...and my all time FAVORITE -say it with me people... the ILLUSTRIOUS Norm Talley ( in my church announcers voice) Alton, Mike ( oh damn-guess they DO need last names) Huckaby and Clark, Malik, Marcellus, and two of Detroit most understated DJs Jon Easley and Sean "The Butcher" Tate- now I don't know what all those knobs and buttons do, but the night The Butcher played I can honestly say I have never heard a DJ freak those buttons and knobs like he did- we need to hear him play more. Ive seen that place turn into a revival - see Jamie 326 Blog. When Jamie played I don't think I saw David leave the floor. We enjoy the cozy comfort of the patio the warm rich sounds that emanate from the system.. The night my lil big brother Earl banged a vinyl set that was so hot we all left in the dead of winter without coats on.  The list goes on and on.. its a slice of heaven right on Michigan Ave. Its a place where your mind can be clear, its a place where the dance floor is open and inviting..its safe, its warm, its cozy...

I'd like to see where the MCW will be in 5-10 years, the new flooring that's going down on the patio, the wall made of empty wine bottles, the synergy!

A few Blogs ago I wrote about whites leaving the club when the good colored folk come in the door.. NOT here we are ONE in this spot and that is such a beautiful thing.

Here are a few things I've observed about the MCW, you're NOT going to get a full menu- who needs one when they had the keen notion to help other entrepreneurs with the pop up restaurant(s)-people helping people, you may not see David smile a lot but when he does it's so sweet- hell he doesn't need to Melissa has a smile that could melt the polar ice cap, you're not going to get a Long Island, why... CAUSE IT'S A WINE BAR SILLY! You WILL get great "wine" snacks.. ecofriendly owners, fantastic talent, and relaxed atmosphere. 

Look for more Beautiful Sunday's, more Jazz and vinyl club, more wine, more smiles, more music.

Here are a few things I'd like to see - in order of importance!
A. David to grow his hair back. -yep, I said it!
B. More cook offs- that was fun.
C. The new sound system that's going outside.
D. Craig and Mike Huckaby to play together- I just think it would be cute.

I have many favorite spots, and I simply adore the owners and staff but this place is special.. here you have two very different people with a love for music, fine wine and people. Simplistic beauty.  As Melissa would say, " That's pretty friggin awesome"- as I end this and say goodnight I can see Melissa's smile, and its the best smile I have every had the pleasure of seeing. Because its genuine- and full of love and it just don't get no better than that! Mama and Papa Vino-you two birthed greatness!

Let The Music Play

P~









No comments:

Post a Comment