Translate

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Alan King made me do it...well kind of!!! #FAMILY






I did not have any plans on writing a Blog today, then I ran across a stat by someone I hold in very high regard.

 "House music isn't just music. It's a way of life. And everyone in that life is family. It's a beautiful thing". AK----

...and ya know what!?! He is right! (BTW..YES I did copy and paste his stat to my Blog) I mean what is he going to do? Sue me?!-lol

No need for me to give you a background story on Mr. King and what he and a countless others have done for This Thing of Ours. I will say THIS, both he and Kenny Dixon Jr. aka Moodyman are SINGLE  handedly bringing "light skin" back in style. So for my light skin brothers...make sure to thank those two the next time you see them.

By now you all know when I do write, I put a little of myself in each Blog so let me tell you one of the many reasons I hold Mr. King to such a high standard..While Facebook stalking ( and don't act like its just ME, we ALL do it. ) I ran across a picture with Mr. King and the POTUS- that would be Obama..(ok maybe he too is bringing light skin back in as well) - ANYWHO, after seeing that picture I reminded myself of the time I first met Mr. King- he was leaning over the bar chopping it up with Terry Hunter at Club Waterfalls here in Detroit. So as a gentle play to introduce myself I, being the lady that I am placed my hand on his back so that my interruption of the conversation he was having would not be frowned upon. WELL>>> after seeing the pix of he and The Prez, I kept thinking " Oh my GAWD... I touched the man who knows THE MAN"  that was a surreal moment/memory for me.

Ok back to the Family thingy. There have always been in any great society, bonds, teams, groups of folks who share common interest. Ours happens to be House music and we ARE global., we are FAMILY. No matter your station in life, sexual orientation, we love ( or we SHOULD love each other) We form sisterhood and brotherhoods. Yes, there are some who don't get along, but when needed we are there for each other. We argue, fuss, fight ( well not fist fight) but I have seen it come close ( Tink Thomas) our resident" I will eff you up" DJ but in the end even he made up for his fiery temper. BTW only "I" can talk about Tink!!!

I too have had some issues with some of my House sisters. ( I am going to take a moment to address that)- Not now or EVER I have I said I hated ANY of my sisters. There are one or two I don't like and some that I feel are sneaky, and I have address that with them directly- but HEY every family has issues and beefs. Even though we don't speak and even though they don't know it. I have been in the background still looking out... still defending.. and I always will, because THAT is what family does for one and other.  We are bound by the music and the love we have for it.

We have some black sheep in the family, but we still LOVE them.. we talk smack but we still LOVE each other. The one thing that keeps us as tight as we are is (once again..the music).

We celebrate our love for this life at different houses ( clubs/venues) and just like with blood families there are some members houses that you would rather not go to, but you support them because we are FAMILY.

We have the elders( true they are NOT that old, but they ARE that knowledgeable) who started all of this, your Al Heaths, Steven Dunbars, Todd Johnsons ( no relation). Frankie Knuckles, Wayne Williams' etc...etc.. who tell stories of, how it use to be. LISTEN to them, there is a reason they are still in the game. Plus they tell some pretty funny stories. Without them where would we be? We learned from them and there is a level of respect we owe them. Just like we pay respect to our real family members who have seen said family grow beyond their wildest dreams.

If you think about it, the dynamic that makes up this House family is NO different from that of our blood family. We are all a part of a collective unit. We can not survive without each other.

I challenge each and everyone of you(myself included)..if you have had a falling out with your brother/sister in House extend a hand, talk out your differences. You may not get along even after that but...you have at the VERY least cleared the air.  Plus that is what family does..they talk!!!

No matter what land you are from always know you have a sister/brother here in This Thing of Ours. We may speak different languages, but our universal language is House and the dances we dance to when the music is played.

Thank you promoters..Thank you club owners, Thank you fans, Thank you music producers, Thank you DJs..and most important, IMO...THANK YOU FANS/FAMILY!!!

This family is beautiful and its BEST when we...

Let The Music Play,

P~

http://youtu.be/A2SfKTS-g8c









 

No comments:

Post a Comment