Translate

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

3 Chairs...Have a seat!




This may be a relatively short Blog, but I have a need to get this out! Now, there have been some LIVE ass parties here lately, but that 3 Chairs party was off the MF'n chain! It changed my musical life.

Rarely do I go to parties and not hear the same thing (which is cool, I like it) it gives me that "feel good" kinda feeling. However the 3 Chairs party took me to another place all together. I learned that I dont have to be sprinkled with new music to appreciate it! I grew (musically)- thank you fellas. What I loved most is seeing people of all different ethnicities there. Some came from as far away as Japan..wow.. 17 hour flight just to see our homegrown talent! Ya did ya thang fellas... ya did ya thang. That night I heard 3 maybe 4 songs I knew... and ya know what??? IT WAS FREGGIN AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Both the Red and Blue side were wall to wall House Heads, young, old, black, white, asian, we were all there. ( and remember House is universal it knows NO color, race, or sexual orientation).

I would be remised if I did not say(...and this is just my opinion) I was a lil taken aback because I did not see more Detroiters there, more black folk.. ( again...it’s cool just surprised that’s all) guess some know how and who to appreciate while others do not!

From the moment you walked in it was straight BANG... go HARD or GO home! It was NOT for the weak. It was for House music LOVERS! It was for those who like to groove. It was everything that Movement/DEMF is...only in February. Yes the dance floor stayed packed! Not once was it cleared.

That night I got to scratch two DJs off my bucket list, Mr. Theo Parrish and Mr. Marcellus Pittman ( more about those two later)

Ok. Kenny Dixon Jr. AKA Moodyman, (did I mention he is the epitome of "cool") That man threw everything at you including the kitchen sink, and made it blend together like the genius that he is...He went straight Midnight Funk Association- like back when Mojo was in rare form. He went classic House, new House, Kenny's House..

Rick Wilhite, that night I got to see what Rick (international) Wilhite plays like. Again, if you not a true lover of the music you couldn’t wrap your heads at what he was puttin down. It was all PURE FIYAH!!

Marcellus Pittman, SEXY SET dude.. music was all that and more. Euro, transit, NYC, Chi, with that distinct Detroit vibe. I was so happy to hear this House Cat spin the effects where so choice! Head bobbin and fist pumpin all night to Mr. Pittman.

While they all thru the fuck down... and boy oh boy did they have one powerful set..I have to give it up to Theo Parrish( not to take away anything from the other 3) I..I...yeah, um I have NO words for Theo other than...THAT MAN IS A GAWD- sorry Norm( I usually reserve that saying for him). To my untrained ear im thinking Theo plays House with a blend of Euro Techno but not Industrial.. just more of a Techno feel, but it was House- go figure! I walked in on Theo's set, and I think I saw him beat his chest and proclaim that HE was the king of the world...and I was glad to be in his world. ( ok he didnt really do that, but he should have).

While each DJ does their own thing outside of 3 Chairs, it was nice to see them pool their collective talents and have one helluva record release party. I was informed on several different occasions that what I saw Saturday was as rare as a pink moon.

What put a smile on my face was the end of the night... I have NEVER EVER heard the music stop and the people say, "more more more, and encore! When I say the music stopped thats what it did and the people would NOT move until someone put another record on. ( ok um Josh, you know I have to have a word with you dont cha).

All vinyl set, 4 incredible DJs/producers. Top notch sound, great venue, crisp night, warm feeling. House music with no interruptions on the Blue side. We danced, raised our fist, bobbed our heads collectively.. for the love of House, for the love of beats, for the love of dance.

To date my top parties have to be... The Meet party, Al Esters birthday and 3 Chairs..Because it was at those gigs that I saw what House really could be. I saw LOVE! I saw togetherness! I saw what we are all made of.

So Im just going to throw this out there.. If you all read this. Yeah, don't make us wait until we are in wheelchairs and wearing Depends to have another event like the one you just had. We deserve more of what you 4 dished out! You owe us!!!.. (ok maybe you don’t but I had to play that hand).

I had a chance to listen to the record that Kenny gave out. um.. yeah, all white label but I KNOW what song Kenny did, Great intro, love the elements, love the uncommon way you blend sound, and make it sound right as rain. The other tracks on the LP/EP/Album (hell I don’t know what its called) all well worth the purchase. It should be in everyone who is about the music's collection.

If you were one of the few who got a copy, good for you. If you were one of the VERY few who got an autograph copy, consider yourself even luckier.

Saturday night...real rite! I love it when a plan comes together. Theo, Kenny, Rick, and MARCELLUS! Damn proud to say that I got a chance to experience my 1st 3 Chairs event. I’m sold, I learned, I can say in years to come... I was there! If you were not... sucks donkey nuts to be YOU! Cause that night 3 Chairs....

Let the Music Play!

P~






 

No comments:

Post a Comment